VMware Cloud Community
phykell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Restarting Management Agents

Hi,

Due to yet another "task is already running" error for a VM backup, I need to restart the management agents on an ESXi host which also happens to be running our vCenter virtual appliance. I understand that restarting the agents will cause the host to disconnect from vCenter and *should* automatically re-connect but is there anything to be concerned about if vCenter itself is running on the host whose management agents will be restarted?

I think it's getting a bit old that it's necessary to perform a host-level task to resolve an issue which appears to be at the VM level.

Regards,

Darrin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey Darrin,

Nothing to be alarmed about here. Restarting the management agents on the ESXi host won't affect the virtual machine network traffic (including your VCSA). So as you noted, the host will disconnect from VC while the agents are restarting and then will automatically connect back in.

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey Darrin,

Nothing to be alarmed about here. Restarting the management agents on the ESXi host won't affect the virtual machine network traffic (including your VCSA). So as you noted, the host will disconnect from VC while the agents are restarting and then will automatically connect back in.

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos