VMware Cloud Community
hansis
Contributor
Contributor

Restart Management Service

Hello!

i have a problem with a snapshot-task. I want to delete a snapshot and get the message that another task is running.

Now I found that I have to restart the esx management services.

But from this ESX-Host  I cant merge my virtual Machine to another host.

When I restart the management services what will be with this virtual machine?

thx.

hansi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had a similar issue and what I did was I powered down the windows 2003 server. I got stuck and then manually power off the machine from the command line.... then we restarted the management service for the host wehere the machine was hosted....

all the other machines on that esx host were fine and there was no issue .... after the service was started >>> there were two snap shots and to remove them it took me an hour...

hope this helps you

hansis
Contributor
Contributor

thx.

I have done it like http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH59607

Now all its OK

The Server was not shut down.

thx.

Hansi

0 Kudos
durakovicduro83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

which version of ESX you jave???

ESXi
On an ESXi host, to commit all snapshots using the command line:
  1. Log in to the ESXi host as root via the console or an SSH session. For more information about SSH, see see Tech Support Mode for Emergency Support (1003677) or Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 (1017910).

Note:  The following commands can also be executed remotely using the vSphere  Command Line for both ESX and ESXi hosts. For more information, see  vSphere Command Line Interface documentation.

2. Run this command to get a list of virtual machines and the VMID for each virtual machine:
    vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

Output similar to the following is displayed:

Vmid Name File Guest OS Version Annotation
    1 vm1 [datastore1] vm1/vm1.vmx windows7Server64Guest vmx-08
    3 testvm [iscsi1] testvm/testvm.vmx winNetDatacenterGuest vmx-08

Make a note of the VMID for the specific virtual machine.

Cheers,

Denis

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so
0 Kudos