VMware Cloud Community
mummonth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resolving Thin provisioning issues

Hello, gents!

We have several datacenters and about 270 VMs with disks created as thin provisioned. Now time by time we have VM failures because of lack of drive space and management requested us to offer a solution to minimize downtime.

Well the obvious solution that we offered is migration from thin to thick disks using Storage vMotion. But still the number of VMs is pretty big and I would like to offer some solution for this task.

I haven't worked vSphere for couple last years, so I would like to ask you for an advice how you would solve such a task?\

What I could think of is maybe scripting in powercli in order to automatize repetitive process of moving VMs from one storage to another and back.

I also found that VMware offers Storage DRS Clusters and we could use it to monitor and balance the load on storages and migrate VMs in case of lack of space because of thin provision. It involves some additional planning and preparations, we have to Group storages in Clusters with similar performance etc.

What other options/tools can you recommend for such a task?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mummonth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah, ok, I just found that we can use "Inflate" operation from "Browse Datastore", because we migrating from Thin to Thick, right?

BTW, in order to inflate do we need to shutdown VM?

For us preferably not to shutdown them, some of them are prod VMs

0 Kudos
mummonth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any help, guys?

0 Kudos