VMware Cloud Community
pocnenhuma
Contributor
Contributor

Reset Password root host ESXI 6.5

Hello guys
I need to reset the root password of an esxi host. I tried to live cd but the raid virtual disk is not recognized. I have configured Array 1 + 0
My hardware is an HP DL160
ESXI 6.5
Any other way to do this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
perromateric
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

From VMware Knowledge Base

ESXi 3.5, ESXi 4.x, ESXi 5.x and ESXi 6.x

Reinstalling the ESXi host is the only supported way to reset a password on ESXi. Any other method may lead to a host failure or an unsupported configuration due to the complex nature of the ESXi architecture. ESXi does not have a service console and as such traditional Linux methods of resetting a password, such as single-user mode.

and have you read this ? => how to reset root password

pocnenhuma
Contributor
Contributor

In my lab I followed the following steps:

How to Reset Forgotten VMware ESXi Root Password with Ubuntu Live CD

However, in the server in question I need to reset the password has arry raid 1 + 0, and when starting the server via live cd, it does not present virtual disk

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

is ESXI host is part of vcenter  and you have domain.

have done below step to recover the root password.

Step 1: Connect to  host through  vCenter server,Need to click on the Configuration Tab. Then select the “Advanced Services” selection from the Software box on the lower left. Then you click on the “Properties” link that is shown in the picture below.

Step-2

Go to Directory Services Configuration window that is shown below. In the select “Service Type” drop down you will need to select “Active Directory”.  The in the Domain field We need to type in the name of our domain that we will be connecting to. Next step is to click the “Join Domain” button and We  will be presented with an authentication window shown in the next step.

pastedImage_0.gif

Step 3: In this part We  need to enter in credentials that will allow us to connect and join the ESXi Host to the domain. We can enter our credentials in the format listed below (Domainuser) or use this format ( administrator@test.com).

pastedImage_1.gif

Step 4: After successfully entering our logon ID our ESXi host is added to the Domain. We can see from the image below our host was added to the default computer container since I did not specify another OU for them to be placed into.

Step-5

Now try to login through our Domain credentials .

Step6

We will reset the "Root" password.

Once you reset the password than remove the server from domain.

I have tested and it is working for me ....

0 Kudos
pocnenhuma
Contributor
Contributor

In the specific case, I do not have these options, authentication is done locally. I thought that being GNU / Linux based vmware there was a way to reset by bios or chroot .... Any way to reset this line

0 Kudos
cfizz34vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
cfizz34vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
alvserversuppor
Contributor
Contributor

does this procedure affect VM's hosted on this host?  will it require that all hosted VM's be rebooted or cause any interruption to services?

0 Kudos