VMware Cloud Community
ghoff
Contributor
Contributor

Replication via dedicated vmnic

Hi everybody,

i have 2 hosts on the same site and i want to replicate vm's from host1 to host2 and vm's from host2 to host1.

The 2 hosts are linked over the standard LAN via 1Gb ports.

For the replication the are also directly linked via fibre and 10Gb ports.

I have one ReplicationAppliance/VR-Server on one of the hosts.

My plan was to to use the 1Gb vmnic for management traffic

and the 10Gb vmnic for replication and vmotion traffic.

I created a VMkernel adapter and vSwitch for the 10Gb vmnic on both hosts, checking the vmotion, replication and replication NFC boxes.

With the help of the Visual-ESX-Top-Tool i can see that migrating VM's now uses the fast 10Gb connection.

Unfortunately replication does not work at all. It cannot find the VR-Server.

vmkping'ing the VR-Server through the 10Gb-adapter does not work from both hosts.

I wonder why vmotion works fine and automatically switches to the fast adapter

and replication can't do that.

PS: If i configure the Adapter connected to the 1Gb-LAN for replication, it works fine, but due to the limited bandwith i can't replicate all the VM's i want.

Has anybody experienced the same kind of problems and maybe some hints for me ?

Regards,

Gaston

0 Kudos
2 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your VR server is on Management network and your are using 10G nic for replication traffic. In your case vmkping to VR server may not work. If you could vmkping the vmkernel IP from other host you are good.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

This will probably answer your question

vXpress: Using Secondary Management Network for vSphere Replication!!

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos