VMware Cloud Community
bao__zhe
Contributor
Contributor

Replication solution for linked clones

Currently most of my VMs deployed on an ESXi server is in the form of linked clones from several base VMs. Now for DR purposes I'm planning on replicating the VMs to another datastore. However, I have yet to discover a replication solution that works for linked clones.

Specifically, I'd like to have the target datastore contains the exact directory structure as that of the source datastore, preserving all relationships between the linked clones. Current solutions, while "work" with linked clones, can only replicate the VMs as full clones, thus generate excessive duplicated data and destroy the inheritance relationships.

Because I'm using local storage for my current ESXi server, array based solution does not apply here.

Scripts, virtual appliances, or external servers can all be considered. Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

As of now there is no option of replicating Vmware view linked clone desktop available. I would request you to reach out to VMware PSO ( Professional Service Organisation ) Team to get suggestion on this solution.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
bao__zhe
Contributor
Contributor

Well i'm not using View but manually creating the linked clone (from snapshots). Will that change the answer?

...following that idea is there any raplication solution that can preserve snapshots?

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Then I think it should work,  however I have not tested it.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos