VMware Cloud Community
QantasA380
Contributor
Contributor

Replace Host Server

Hi,

I am replacing one of the host servers in our vCenter cluster. I am installing a completely different server with completely different hardware.

Its i just as simple as removing / deleting the server from the cluster and adding a new one?

Does anyone have any tips etc please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

It could be as simple as that.  Assuming the new ESX(i) host has no CPU compatibility issues with other hosts in the cluster, vMotion will work fine, without the need to enable EVC in the cluster.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Basically yes. I would place the old host in maintenance mode, remove the license from the host using vCenter Server licensing and then disconnect/remove the host from vCenter.

André

QantasA380
Contributor
Contributor

It could be as simple as that.  Assuming the new ESX(i) host has no CPU compatibility issues with other hosts in the cluster, vMotion will work fine, without the need to enable EVC in the cluster.

Thats one big reason i am changing it Smiley Happy But i will need to enable EVC i think. But its better compatibility than what we have. I work in the UK education sector and the money is none existant to get all 3 server matching.

André Pett wrote:

Basically yes. I would place the old host in maintenance mode, remove the license from the host using vCenter Server licensing and then disconnect/remove the host from vCenter.

André

Ah didnt think of that thanks, will do a little research on this. Will it just be a case of going into the configuration of the host and removing the licence assigned to it?

Thanks for the help guys :smileygrin:

0 Kudos