VMware Cloud Community
grad91
Contributor
Contributor

Renaming an Esxi 4 U1 host

Hello,

I think I am on the right track with what I want to do however I want to do a sanity check here just to be certain.

I have an existing ESXi 4 U1 host which is licensed and currently in VCenter and I would like to change the host name and IP address whithout destabilizing the VMs that are currently running on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing name - 1234

Existing IP - 10.10.10.132

Proposed new name - abc-123

Proposed new IP - 10.10.10.138

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My plan is to shutdown the VMs that are running on the host, put the host into maintenance mode and then remove it from Vcenter. Once removed from Vcenter, I will change the host name, change the IP, restart the mangement network (and host if needed) from the console before adding it back to Vcenter and assigning the licenses to it. Once this is completed, I'll remove it from maintenance mode and start up the VMs.

Should this work in theory or am I missing anything?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That should do it - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

following the below KB article should be helpful as well

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/4309499

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

That would do the job, though if you have a VC etc, can't you vMotion the VMs to another host while you rename the ESX host and prevent the downtime?

It is really a pretty simple task, so you shouldn't have any issues (just of course make sure that your DNS etc is all setup correctly)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

That should do with out any issue.

As per the last comment if you have another host migrate out all the vm and perform the task.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos