VMware Cloud Community
acorreia1
Contributor
Contributor

Renaming a distributed switch,uplinks, and port groups??

We've recently upgraded to esxi 5.1.  I wanted to rename an existing distributed switch and possibly the uplinks and/or port groups.  Does anyone know if there are supported ways to do this without affecting VMs and network functionality?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

While renaming the portgroups on VMs running on it might not be allowed and might be result in loss, you can try to create a new DVswitch with the portgroups of your desire and select Migrate existing networking and select the existing DVSwitch as your source and the created DVSwitch as the destination.

0 Kudos
acorreia1
Contributor
Contributor

I'll definitely give that a shot.  I will reply back with my results.  Thanks for the help!  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Most welcome

0 Kudos
acorreia1
Contributor
Contributor

Just did a test and that definitely looks like the way to go!  Thanks again! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

most welcome again Smiley Happy

Regards,

zXi

Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful, since Karma+ = +Karma

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can rename these objects just fine without a detour of migrating between dvSwitches. Those are just display names, the objects are referenced by managed object IDs in the actual configurations.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
acorreia1
Contributor
Contributor

Let's say I did just do a rename.  If you 'Edit Settings' in a VM and click on the Network Adapter: Does the Network Label get dynamically changed to the new name?  Also is there is loss of network connectivity when if I do that?

0 Kudos