VMware Cloud Community
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Removing virtual sockets & cores per socket

Dear Experts,

I need to know is it safe to reduce the number of virtual sockets and number of cores per socket for a virtual machine running Win 2008 R2 64 bit? The version of vSphere is 5.0 Update 2, I found that more resources are given to VM and actually not required. I need to understand that I will not face any problems of unstability.

The same above question for Windows 2003 R2 64 bit, how it will behave ?

thanks,

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shrikant_Gavhan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Wajeeh,

HOT ADD feature only allows you add the CPU and memory at runtime, but in order to remove socket or cores you'll have to shutdown the virtual machine then do it. There is no other way to remove the CPU from virtual machine.

Thanks and Regards,

Shrikant Gavhane.

Thanks and Regards, Shrikant Gavhane

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would suggest you to power off and then do it.

Windows server 2008 will be able to adapt to the changes but it is not advised to do that when the VM is in the running state. Also remember to provide the minimum required resources for the machine to work well.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Removing CPUs from running VMs isn't possible anyway, so you have to power it off, no matter what Smiley Wink

Shrikant_Gavhan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Wajeeh,

HOT ADD feature only allows you add the CPU and memory at runtime, but in order to remove socket or cores you'll have to shutdown the virtual machine then do it. There is no other way to remove the CPU from virtual machine.

Thanks and Regards,

Shrikant Gavhane.

Thanks and Regards, Shrikant Gavhane
0 Kudos