VMware Cloud Community
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

Removing snapshot takes long

Hi!

I have a machine where I wanted to change the disk size of a linux-machine. The value cannot be changed (grayed out). I recognized that there are several snapshots. Now I started to remove the first snapshot. After 5 minutes 52% where finished, no further success. Next I tried shut down the machine. When I take a look at the console the last message is "Power Down.", but the machine still seems to be swichted on. Removing snapshot meanwhile adwanced to 99% where it hangs for 30 minutes now.

Is it normal that this takes so much time?

If I want to remove all snapshots... is it better to start with removing last one?

regards

Detlef

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

try to hv less number of snapshots.

best approach is deleting from latest one.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you want to delete all snapshots the best way is
* or in snapshot manager select options "Delete all"
* or in command line

vim-cmd vmsvc/snapshot.removeall [VMID] 

(detail about command describerd at vmware kb Committing snapshots when there are no snapshot entries in the snapshot manager)

2Cooldude09

The command "Delete all" is working better and faster than the removal of one snapshot

Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

oh yes, i missed that option Smiley Happy thanks mate

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

0 Kudos
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

Looks good! After 50 minutes it was finished with the first snapshot. After that the machine really switched of. Now I selected to remove all snapshots. I'll see how long this takes now 🙂

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

but the machine still seems to be swichted on. Removing snapshot meanwhile adwanced to 99% where it hangs for 30 minutes now.

Is it normal that this takes so much time?

Yes its normal,based on the storage space, IOS and resources available in ESX(i), since you have several snapshot it will take some time to commit, dont distrub while the snapshot are getting committed, it will corrupt the VMDK and Also keep  this a suggestion, never leave snapshot for long time like 1 week or 1 month.

snapshot are not the option for backup, it just a point in time recovery to used for patching or any changes to the servers, it has to committed immediatly once you feel that the server is ok with the modification.

For remove all use the option in the snapshot manager delete all option which will commit all the latest changes to the parent VMDK.

Refer best practices for snapshot VMware KB link below:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1025279

Working with snapshot

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009402

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

Removing all snapshots took 8 minutes now 🙂

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

wonderful

0 Kudos
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm...

Im unable to mount one of the disks of the virtual machine. Mount says "wrong fs type" :-? Is it possible that removing snapshots corrupts a virtual machine? In dmesg it says: "corrupt root inode".

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Take a look at vmware kb Recreating a missing virtual machine disk (VMDK) descriptor file

(+)

Typically, removal of snapshots does not cause problems

0 Kudos
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

The disk-files seem to be there, so I think I don't have to recreate a vmdk-file?

/vmfs/volumes/4f5633fe-0a47cff2-01ed-2c768aafd46c/opsidemo # ls -l *.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root        34359738368 Apr  2 06:49 Opsi-flat.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root                523 Apr  2 06:55 Opsi.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root        21474836480 Apr  2 06:57 opsidemo-000001-flat.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root                528 Apr  2 06:55 opsidemo-000001.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root        21117861888 Apr  2 05:40 opsidemo.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root        17179869184 Dec  6 13:25 opsidemo_2-flat.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root                474 Apr  2 05:40 opsidemo_2.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root        25769803776 Apr  2 06:59 opsidemo_3-flat.vmdk
-rw-------    1 root     root                529 Apr  2 06:55 opsidemo_3.vmdk

The defective disk is opsidemo_2 opsidemo_3

correction: it's opsidemo_3 not opsidemo_2 ...

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Post result command

cat opsidemo_2.vmdk

0 Kudos
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

Oh... it should be the opsidemo_3:

/vmfs/volumes/4f5633fe-0a47cff2-01ed-2c768aafd46c/opsidemo # cat opsidemo_3.vmdk
# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
encoding="UTF-8"
CID=38b5e1b4
parentCID=ffffffff
isNativeSnapshot="no"
createType="monolithicFlat"

# Extent description
RW 50331648 FLAT "opsidemo_3-flat.vmdk" 0

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.longContentID = "ef72a0b0166aabdb8e08ce7638b5e1b4"
ddb.toolsVersion = "0"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "8"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 93 63 cd 3f 6c-32 da 72 e9 47 96 e1 ca"
ddb.geometry.cylinders = "3133"
ddb.geometry.heads = "255"
ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.deletable = "true"
/vmfs/volumes/4f5633fe-0a47cff2-01ed-2c768aafd46c/opsidemo #

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Strange ...vmdk descriptor looks as normal, try to power off VM and post vmware.log file referring to the unsuccessful launch VM

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Also post .vmx file information.Let see the VMDK mapping..

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Here is my vmware.log. Meanwhile my var copied the opsidemo-00001.vmdk to opsidemo_test.vmdk but that should not interfere the problem.

regards

Detlef

0 Kudos
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

here comes my vmx-file.

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't see any error about mounting vmdk in your vmware.log files (It looks so scsi0: 2 "opsidemo_3.vmdk" & scsi0: 3 "Opsi.vmdk" & scsi0: 0"osidemo_test.vmdk" mounted without problem)

But didn't I see your SCSI 0:1 device (may be old name opsidemo_2.vmdk)

If you renamed flat vmdk, you should edit vmdk descriptor, If you renamed vmdk descriptor you should remove old vmdk from VM invetory (Not from disk) and readded by new name

0 Kudos
djockheck
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I think that it should be ok that SCSI 0:1 is missing. It was even missing before. Attached you'll see a screenshot of the mount problem.

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

It looks as guest OS problem (not vmware), try to boot in single mode and check by fsck your guest FS on /dev/sdb1, same detail you can found at What command do you run to check file system consistency under UNIX or Linux?

0 Kudos