ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Remove local storage in guest VM

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:18 AM

Dear all,

I would like to ask how to remove local storage under the summary tab > Storage section as this Guest VM already moved to the SAN storage. (attached local.jpeg)

However, when I right click unmount the local storage, it gives an error message saying "For successful datastore unmount the following requirement must be fulfilled" --> No virtual machine resides on the datastore  <-- with a red cross sign. (attached error.jpeg)

This local datastore did have the vm inside but however I just want it not to appear in the guest vm.

Appreciate or your help.

thank you

• 2.  RE: Remove local storage in guest VM

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:42 AM

Browse the datastore and see if any are files and folders exists on that datastore.. Make sure there is no snapshot or ISO mounted on the VM from that datastore.

• 3.  RE: Remove local storage in guest VM

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:51 AM

Dear Aravind,

I have browsed the datastore.

- No ISO mounted to VM from that datastore

- No snapshot found

However it did have files in the datastore

- 2 vm guest

- 1 template

- 1 folder consist of 2 ISO files

Any advise?

thank you

• 4.  RE: Remove local storage in guest VM

Posted Jan 02, 2013 09:02 AM

However it did have files in the datastore

- 2 vm guest

- 1 template

- 1 folder consist of 2 ISO files

You have to move the VM and Templates to the other datastore if its still required and ISO has also to be moved to the other datastore before you can unmont the datastore.

• 5.  RE: Remove local storage in guest VM

Posted Jan 02, 2013 09:09 AM

Dear aravind,

noted.

I would like to check after I have moved the template and vm away and manage to unmount the local datastore, will I be able to move the template and vm guest back to the local storage which I think it should be able to do so?

thank you

• 6.  RE: Remove local storage in guest VM

Posted Jan 02, 2013 09:42 AM

If the datastore still exist yes you should be able to move the VM's and datastore back

• 7.  RE: Remove local storage in guest VM

Posted Jan 02, 2013 09:43 AM

got it, i will try

thank you

• 8.  RE: Remove local storage in guest VM

Posted Jan 02, 2013 12:53 PM

you can no longer remove local storage, like you could with classic ESX as the local VMFS partition contains the files needed to run ESXi in a small VM.

This is why you are recieving the error, it is not erronious as there is in fact a VM on that storage