VMware Cloud Community
MajesticPete
Contributor
Contributor

Removal of an RDM disk causes VM to stop running.

Hello, I'm testing running freenas virtualized under esxi 6.5 (single host).  The goal is to bypass any virtualization of data volumes (4x500GB) and let freenas handle it's own ZFS raid.

Host storage setup:

sata0 - 70gb hdd - VMFS datastore that stores multiple guest OSs

sata1,2,3,4 - have 4x500GB hdds

Guest 1 setup.

LSI Logic Paralel controller - all disks below are connected to it.

disk 0 - standard vmware vmdk that boots guest OS (freeNAS 10)

disk1,2,3,4 - RDMs each tied to the abovementioned 4x500GB hdds.  RDMs are created with vmkfstools -z (physical RDMs)

Problem:

When I pull either of the 500gb disks, the guest VM stops and presents a prompt on the screen "The storage backing **diskX** has been permanently lost.  ETc.  Retry/Cancel?".  Other VMs are not impacted by this.  Since I'm basically running a "guest provided" software raid5 on these RDMs, it should be acceptable to lose one of these disks w/o wheels coming off the bus.  Is there any way to disable this prompt and have the VM continue it's standard work if RDM is lost?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MajesticPete
Contributor
Contributor

Adding a few more details:

If i click "Retry" on the PDL prompt to attempt a hot remove, the VM continues running as expected (with soft raid degraded).  However it is inaccessible until that prompt is answered.  Is there any way to suppress that default to hot-remove automatically?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos