VMware Cloud Community
nyx01xnyx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Relationship between VMK and VMNIC

Hi Guys,

From what i know VMK is a virtual interface for kernel services and VMNIC means the ESXi physical interface.

I did below configuration then I confused:

1. setup new esxi server, select 1st physical interface as management interface (192.168.1.1)
  2. setup vcenter and testing VMs using VSS (192.168.1.x subent)
  3. migrate VSS to VDS
  4. VMK0 ip becomes 192.168.1.1 and VMNIC0 seems obtained a IP from my DHCP server.

I want to know why this happened and if it's a correct behavior.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No matter which physical interface (vmnic) you select, the IP address is assigned to the VMkernel port (vmk). The vmnics are basically only uplinks from the vSwitch to the physical switch(es). Think of it as connecting two physical switches. You wouldn't assign IP addresses to interconnects, would you?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No matter which physical interface (vmnic) you select, the IP address is assigned to the VMkernel port (vmk). The vmnics are basically only uplinks from the vSwitch to the physical switch(es). Think of it as connecting two physical switches. You wouldn't assign IP addresses to interconnects, would you?

André

0 Kudos
nyx01xnyx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, but why there is a section call "vmnic observed ip ranges" and what is used for?

I know which part goes wrong, it's due to my lab traffic the observed ip range only show 1 ip address. it makes me think that the ip is for vmnic.

Observed IP range does not show network in ESX or ESXi (1006744)

Thanks !

0 Kudos