VMware Cloud Community
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reinstall EXSi and re-add host to cluster

Hello everybody.

I had some problems with one host.

I removed it from distributed switch, then from vCenter, reinstall fresh ESXi and trying to add host to the cluster.

Error occurred while applying profile:

pastedImage_0.png

And now all portgroups does not work at new host. After migrating VM to the host with troubles network card is turned off. If I turn it on manually, link is going up,but VM have not connection...

Please help me figure out the situation...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please check the VIBs... It could be you're missing one or more on your newly installed host.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you connected esxi host back to dvswitch and assign proper vmnics to uplink? Also, the portgroups as you said are standard portgroup or dvswitch port group? If possible share the screenshot of vswitch or dvswitch connectivity.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

After you add the newly installed host to the inventory the first step is to make sure the host is compliant with the host profile. Then add it to the cluster and to the Distributed Switch. When you keep the host in maintenance mode you can fix any errors before you migrate workloads to that host.

0 Kudos
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

jburen​, sure I did your scenario. I have troubles with applying host profile. And I dont know how I can to fix it.

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So what happens when you try to remediate the host?

0 Kudos
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nawals​, sure I did it...And portgroup is dvs-portgroup.

Topology is here

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

jburen​ what means "remediate" ?

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay. Now your fresh esxi install version and build number match with other hosts? Can you please check the firewall rules which is showing not found enabled or disable. also, check are really using those rules which showing not found.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Remediate = make the host compliant with the host profile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

scott28tt​, I wrote it in my first message. When i trying to apply the profile I see messages like my first message...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You asked what "remediate" means in a reply above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Nawals, build of ESXi the same, like another hosts. In my humble oppinion, this firewall rules (their absence) blocks some control-plane traffic for DVSwitch and VMs cannot to use network after migrarion. So, first, I need to apply profile and rules. Then need to check VMs connectivity through DVSwitch. I cannot to understand why firewall rules does not applying...

0 Kudos
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didn't understand why you asked "So what happens when you try to remediate the host?" if I wrote it in my first message. May be this is my language troubles, sorry.

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Could it be that you are missing some VIBs on the newly installed host? Please compare two hosts with esxcli software vib list

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Because applying a profile is not the same as remediating a host... When you apply a profile you see errors as the host is not compliant. When you remediate a host you try to make the host compliant to the profile by changing host configuration settings.

0 Kudos
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

jburen​, I tried to remediate profile again:

pastedImage_0.png

But after that I see this errors again:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please check the VIBs... It could be you're missing one or more on your newly installed host.

Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

jburen​, you right. I found difference in some vibs. One of them is

esx-nsxv6.5.0-0.0.7563456

I installed it and then, profile applied correctly. DVS is working fine now.

Cause of this trouble, I think, incorrect removal of the NSX.

In any way, you helped me a lot. Thank you very much...

0 Kudos