VMware Cloud Community
Dongjianhua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Regarding vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode

Hi all,

Does vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode depend on Microsoft AD?  Is it possible deploy Enhanced Linked Mode without an AD ? Should all the VC's be added to the same AD?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode depend on Microsoft AD?

Hi there,

Enhanced Linked Mode does not have any dependencies on Active Directory.

Enhanced Linked Mode is automatically enabled when you have more than one vCenter Server pointed to external Platform Services Controller(s) that reside in the same vSphere SSO domain.

So, as a basic example, you could provision 2 PSC nodes in the same vSphere SSO domain, and then provision 2 vCenter Server nodes, with VC#1 pointed at PSC#1 and VC#2 pointed at PSC#2. Enhanced Linked Mode in this configuration would be enabled.

Active Directory is used as an authentication source for the vSphere environment.

Please see the following URLs for additional information

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

I think you can configure this with help of single SSO domain .

But all the host should have  proper FQDN which is reachable from all servers . If you are using a domain account or something to configure all vcenter's then it is recommended use same AD . Or you may go ahead same SSO domain .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode depend on Microsoft AD?

Hi there,

Enhanced Linked Mode does not have any dependencies on Active Directory.

Enhanced Linked Mode is automatically enabled when you have more than one vCenter Server pointed to external Platform Services Controller(s) that reside in the same vSphere SSO domain.

So, as a basic example, you could provision 2 PSC nodes in the same vSphere SSO domain, and then provision 2 vCenter Server nodes, with VC#1 pointed at PSC#1 and VC#2 pointed at PSC#2. Enhanced Linked Mode in this configuration would be enabled.

Active Directory is used as an authentication source for the vSphere environment.

Please see the following URLs for additional information

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
Dongjianhua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So vCenter 5.X linked mode depends on AD, but vCenter 6.X does not, correct ?

0 Kudos
Dongjianhua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So vCenter 5.X linked mode depends on AD, but vCenter 6.X does not, correct ?

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

It is based on Linked Mode group configuration  and  we need a Domain Admin User to run the installation

Refer Below Links

vSphere Documentation Center

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos