Goobay
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding: Installing and upgrading VMware Tools fails with the error: An error occurred while trying to access image file /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/ (1037405) / (No such file or Directory)

1. Hi.

I am having trouble fixing a problem with vmware tools installation on guest operating systems, see these screenshots:

VMware-Tools-Error.jpgVMware-Tools-Error2.jpg

VMware-Tools-Error3.jpg

From the research I have done on the matter, I think it is caused because I activated and configured USB passthrough for my VM's.

Another symptom of this issue is that the VM disappears from ESXi Inventory upon reboot and needs to be created again and pointed to its VHD.

This seems to have broken a symbolic link between: /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/ AND /Locker.

Therefore I have carried out the steps in this VMware KB: VMware KB: Installing and upgrading VMware Tools fails with the error: An error occurred while tryin..., to no avail.

Nothing changed and no errors were displayed, besides the original error message: /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso (No such file or Directory).

This seems to be a product/coding error on behalf of VMware and not a wrong configuration by the user. There are support posts about this back in ESXi 5.0 aswell.

I can't fanthom why VMware have not fixed this problem yet, and why all those symbolic links are neccesary, that also makes it difficult to verify that the isoimages directory and the iso images are still present, since the link is broken to the data bits...

Here are some research on this issue, that confirms USB passthrough have broken the symbolic links:

USB Passthrough with ESXi 5

And here is the KB from VMware, which recommends that you either reinstall ESXi or download the ISO and manually point them to the VM...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103740...

I have a Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 and it supports all the virtualization featurs required including DirectPath I/O for Passthorugh capability.

I am running ESXI-6.0.0.2494585-Standard (Free edition).

What can I do to solve this issue other than reinstall ESXi or manually try to point VM' to the VMware tools ISO'?

I would appreciate if a vmware representative would reply to this post.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
0 Replies