VMware Cloud Community
vas1
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding IDE to SCSI Conversion

Hi All

I just want to know how to convert IDE to SCSI as I am not able to increase the harddisk size otherwise. I have seen a few articles where in you change the vmdk file but it says only to change IDE to LSIlogic and mentions not to make nay changes to the others.

Also while i am converting a Physical to virtual, if i specify that the Disk as LSI instead of the Automatic, will it create any problems while booting?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I just want to know how to convert IDE to SCSI as I am not able to  increase the harddisk size otherwise. I have seen a few articles where  in you change the vmdk file but it says only to change IDE to LSIlogic  and mentions not to make nay changes to the others.

Using VMware Converter is one way to change for IDE to SCSI.  You can also manually change follow the below KB article

Converting a virtual IDE disk to a virtual SCSI disk (1016192)

Also while i am converting a Physical to virtual, if i specify that the  Disk as LSI instead of the Automatic, will it create any problems while  booting?

You shouldn't have any problems using LSI

vas1
Contributor
Contributor

thanks

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The easiest way is as you said modify the header information in the vmdk file.  That's easy.  The change is permanent (unless you change it back) and as long as you have the proper drivers in the guest OS, it will boot.

You don't need converter for this..