VMware Cloud Community
JanRoes
Contributor
Contributor

Reducing the amount of cores per VM

Hello all,

I recently got admin rights to a small vSphere 5 environment (2 physical hosts, ~25 VMs).

The people who set it up didn't have the correct knowledge about CPU core scheduling on the physical hosts resulting in most VMs having 2 or 4 vCPU, even tho they're barely using any CPU power at all.

The VMs are either running Windows 2008R2 or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Does anyone knows what the impact on the VMs would be if I reduce the amount of vCPU to 1? (Besides the VMs being less powerfull ofcourse).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

If the usage is less  you can reduce the vCPU, but I would recommend to keep the minimum Operating system recommendation to do their operation well.

You may have to look for downtime as well, most of the Operating system doesn't support Hot CPU removal

-Nithin

--Nithin
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

not sure about Ubuntu, but for Windows 2008 and newer you should be able to reduce the vCPU count without issues, since the HAL is the same for Uniprocessor an Multiprocessor systems.

André

Respen33
Contributor
Contributor

Though Windows R2 is hot swappable I would not recommend you do that. My best suggestion would be to schedule a downtime or work under current downtimes should you have those planned in your environment. Then power those VM's down and change their vCPU's accordingly. Giving them a small boost in Memory can also increase performance for them while regulating cpu usage if the worry is end user impact. I cannot speak to Linux VM's but in my past those are much more particular when you make back end changes to resources on the fly.

Often in error, never in doubt.
0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, if the CPU utilization of VM is not much thn you can reduce vCPU.

0 Kudos
JanRoes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the replies.

They were helpfull

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Check these blog which can help you.

Too many vCPUs – a simple demonstration | Steve's Home Lab

Avoiding the Virtual CPU Dilemma – Overprovisioning vCPU to pCPU ratios « Virtua...

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos