VMware Cloud Community
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reducing Disk size on a VM

Hi,

I have a data disk on a VM that was over specified & I need to reclaim the disk space. The VM is Windows 2008.

What would be the best way to do this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

By doing V2V you can reduce the disk.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.

Can I just do a V2V for the disk & not the full VM?

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

You need to do the V2V of the VM. In the Disk option, You can reduce the space.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you use VOLUME based cloning you can select only the volume which you want to shrink and perform the convert

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cool.. Thanks for that.

Is VM Converter the best tool to use for this? We're still on vSphere 4.1.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes you can use VMware Converter..

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Converter for this task is like using a Space Shuttle to get to the next kebab booth
simply add a new disk in the size that fits better
then transfer the data via robocopy

after the copy is done you power off the VM and remove the old oversized vmdk and replace it with the new one

0 Kudos