VMware Cloud Community
WilfriedO
Contributor
Contributor

Recover snapshot

Hello,

I'm fairly new to VMware and I have following problem

I setup a virtual server Windows 2008 SBS.  A snapshot was running on the machine.

I deleted the machine from the inventory to start it up on another host.

I started the machine with the original vmdk file, I could not start it from the file that was created by the snapshot

Now I need to recover the snapshot file, this is really important because all the changes are in here and I need these ones.

I know there are a lot of discussion boards on this topic on the internet but I don't understand what they are all talking about.

Could someone explain me step by step how I can recover the snapshot

the host is running ESXi 4.1 hypervisor, connecting to host with Vsphere client, no vm center installed

I don't know if I'm in the correct discussion board here, my apologies if not

thanks in advance for the quick help

WilfriedO 

0 Kudos
73 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

good morning everyone

7B bluescreens are quite harmless and can be fixed easily on win7 or 2008r2
http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

0 Kudos
WilfriedO
Contributor
Contributor

André,

I have tried to fix the problem with the thread of sanborrow, I don't have anything in my services folder

I loaded from c:\windows\system32\config\system

in attach the screenshot

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

wow - thats weird

I never saw a system hive like that - looks totally corrupt

at this point I would say best recover the useful data from that VM and then give up on trying to recover this VM as is

0 Kudos
WilfriedO
Contributor
Contributor

morning continuum,

I think you are right

I'm going to start with that, attaching the disks to another machine and then copying the most important data to start with.

I keep you informed, probably somthing goes wrong there to

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I agree, that's weird.

@continuum: SBS2008 is 64 bit, does it make a difference which recovery version is used (32 or 64 bit)?

André

0 Kudos
WilfriedO
Contributor
Contributor

HEELP,

no I can't even boot my original machine anymore

I receive the following error

What I did before was adding the 2 volumes to my original machine, when I booted it I received the message that it couldn't load because it couldn't find the vmx file, I then removed the disks again and now when I want to start up, I receive this error message.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> SBS2008 is 64 bit, does it make a difference which recovery version is  used (32 or 64 bit)?

I use 64 bit recovery CDs when I need to edit 64 bit registry - but other folks in the LiveCD building scene also report that you can use 32bit systems to edit 64 bit systems.

I'd rather be safe than sorry so I try to use the correct version - 64bit CD to edit 64 bit systems, 32bit CD for 32bit systems

0 Kudos
WilfriedO
Contributor
Contributor

ok, removed completely from inventory and recreated the machine, it is booting now pffff, not good for my heart

0 Kudos
WilfriedO
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Guys,

a question,

concerning the image that doesn't start

is it safe to remove the old vmdk files such as SBSMNF1.vmdk and SBSMNF1-00001.vmdk and keep the new-SBSMNF1.vmdk files?

I would like to keep the new files so I can keep attaching them to a different machine in case something still needs to be recovered

concerning the original image, which is running now

here are also de -0000x.vmdk files present in the datastore, can these be deleted or will this affect the system?

furthermore, copy is still running

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

is it safe to remove the old vmdk files such as SBSMNF1.vmdk and SBSMNF1-00001.vmdk and keep the new-SBSMNF1.vmdk files?

Basically yes, however I would probably keep them until you made sure all your data can be recovered from the "New" files.

... here are also de -0000x.vmdk files present in the datastore, can these be deleted or will this affect the system?

From what I understood so far, they are not in use by the VM and they are also copied to the local datastore. So IMO it's ok to delete them. You may want to double check the files are not referred to in the vmx file (in the VM's settings). If there's no reference in the vmx file anymore you should also delete the vmsd file (this is the file used by the snapshot manager).

André

0 Kudos
WilfriedO
Contributor
Contributor

hello Guys,

the machine is running and the copy has been done succesfully.

Now I just need to figure out how I can get the mails back from the database in the snapshots

thanks a lot for all your help.

Can I find you guys on LinkedIn, I want to add you to my list

grts

Wilfried

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You are welcome. Good to hear you were able to restore your data.

Once done with recovery, you should consider to take care of datastore2.

André

PS: Sorry, I don't have a LinkedIn account. I do have a VMware Community account though Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WilfriedO
Contributor
Contributor

Hello André,

maybe 1 last question, you know my machine is running on a NAS box for the moment.

I will delete the datastore2 and recreate it. Once done, I need to copy the folder to the new datastore.

As I don't have the option to clone the machine in my Vsphere client, what do you recommend as the best option to copy the folder to the new datastore?

grts

Wilfried

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Basically, you should be able to copy the VM with whatever tool you want (datastore browser, Veeam FastSCP, ...). Only make sure you don't have any snapshots on the machine.

If copying wouldn't work, you could also use the VMware Converter and run a V2V.

André

0 Kudos