VMware Cloud Community
happygo
Contributor
Contributor

Recover/restore a VM from external USB 3.0 hard Drive from Ontrack

Have a esxi6.7 Dell server that Raid10 array crashed.

Ontrack was able to retrieve we believe all files off of the array and has returned to me the files on an external USB3.0 hard drive in NTFS.

Ontrack provided two folders"

Good files with all of the structure files and snapshot files

PartialFiles with a *-Flat (with 7Zip I was to extract the files from this folder, except data from February)

Believe my current data is within the *.sesparse and snapshot files

But my skill level isn't able to get this to work.

My 1st thought was to move all the files to a new server and try to register the VM, problem is how to get these files onto the new server (currently using SFTP).

2nd Option was to build a VMWorkstation machine, but get error trying to open VM, error msg:

and getting this new message:

SchwartzPA-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Can I fix this on the VM Workstation or only on esxi6.7 server?

Currently moving files to the new server via SFTP (filezilla)

this is my recovered files list:

happygo_0-1694618354440.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pmichelli
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First off

You need to copy the files to one of your ESXi hosts /vmfs/volumes/volumenamewherevmslive/nameofvm

Then using the datastore browser from vCenter or ESXi, navigate to the folder where you copied the files

Locate the .vmx file, right click on it and select Add to Inventory.

The VM will show up in the list.

Cross your fingers and pray to Jeebus nothing is corrupted and it may boot for you

0 Kudos
happygo
Contributor
Contributor

I switched to SFTP using Filezilla an increased my upload speed dramatically. I was able to get all my files onto the new server and delete the snapshot and although the VM won't load, was able to mount into another VM and recover 95% of the data, Thank you all for your help.

0 Kudos