VMware Cloud Community
hoofhah2002
Contributor
Contributor

Recover lost NTFS volume from Datastore

I have an ESXi7 homelab that had a Win10 VM on it. When I created that VM, I also gave it an additional hard drive for storage independent of the Win10 operating system. That extra "hard disk" is stored in my datastore and was formatted in Win10 as NTFS.  I was hoping to keep this storage volume independent of any VM, so that if a VM was replaced, the replacement VM could access this datastore.  Maybe it doesn't work that way.

Fast forward to Saturday, when that Win10 VM became corrupted. It's toast and I've created a new Win10 VM. However, I can't seem to figure out how to re-add that extra "hard disk" to my new VM.

I edit the VM > Add hard disk > Existing Hard Disk > and then navigate the datastore to the folder that housed the extra storage volume. But I can't select it (Select is greyed out).

Any suggestions? I'm maintaining my homelab thru the stock ESXi gui, I don't have the vSphere client.  I'm suspecting that it was inextricably tied to the original VM, and there is no recovery.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

A screenshot may help to better understand what exactly you see when you try to select the additional virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos