VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Recording and displaying tasks

In the lower part of the vSphere Client I can see the most recent tasks, i.e. VM power on and power off, snapshot and so on.

How can I see the tasks occurred, let's say, four days ago?

How can I configure a vSphere ESXi hosts and/or a vCenter to keep record of tasks for at least 15 days?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, you just have to export it from

Select File > Export > Export Events.

I am not sure of any 3rd party solutions for this purpose. I will ping if I come across any

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, the tasks/events which you are seeing is a part of query from the simple database query. In a vsphere client on a single host, I am not sure, if you can increase the retention policy.

However, on a vSphere Center, you can increase it by

select Administration > vCenter Server Settings to display the vCenter Server Settings dialog box.

Select Database Retention Policy.

(Optional)  SelectTasks retained for, and enter a value in days in the text box.

Information about tasks performed on this vCenter Server system will be discarded after the specified number of days.

(Optional)  SelectEvents retained for, and enter a value in days in the text box.

Information about events for this vCenter Server system will be discarded after the specified number of days.

William22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

If you want of performance monitoring purpose use some 3rd party monitoring utility.

"Whoever is happy will make others happy too."
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you for the answer.

If I keep the "SelectTask retained for" and "SelectEvents retained for" unchecked tasks ans events are not deleted, correct?

So, my question is: how can I display the tasks and/or events occurred let's say a week ago?

About 3rd party monitoring utilitues, is there anyune you can suggest?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, you just have to export it from

Select File > Export > Export Events.

I am not sure of any 3rd party solutions for this purpose. I will ping if I come across any

0 Kudos