VMware Cloud Community
rkuechler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recommendations number of administrators in relation to number of ESX-Hosts?

Hi

Are thery any reliable recommendations (e.g. from VMware) available how many administrators should maintain how many ESX hosts/VMs - or how many ESX hosts/VMs are a "maximum" for one administrator?

Kind regards,

Roman.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Silverchenau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not quite sure there is a limit here. But with large site like more than 90 Hosts, I was told there were 4 VMware Admin. Plus, outsource tech support.

- Silver

My Vmware blog: http://geeksilverblog.com

- Silver My Vmware blog: http://geeksilverblog.com
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

That depends....

...on how many changes are you expecting? Is it an infrastructure where many servers get deployed and decommissioned? Many different server builds to maintain? Etc....

...on what the administrator is responsible for? Only for the hosts or also for the infrastructure behind it: server hardware, network, storage...Are they also responsible for the virtual server OS installations?

...on if there is a helpdesk service available, supporting the administrator?

...on what the service hours are: 7x24 or 5x8 or....

And I guess there are more things you can think about.

So you see, you can't just give an easy answer.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
rkuechler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are right.

I tended to a kind of "average" administration efforts, a third-party opinion or a "broad policy".

The problem is, how can i claim (how can i be sure?) our ESX environment is under-administrated? Or am i / are we simply to slow? Smiley Wink

Kind regards,

Roman.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Where does the assumption you're under-administrated come from? As we are running our farm in an IT department with a leader and we're sitting together often and discuss all issues we would recognize if we need another administrator. If tasks or not finished more and more often, if new projects come in which eat the time, etc. That are all indicators. But to hire somebody new is never an easy thing, from my experience. Some time must go by at least until everybody agrees that there is the need to get help on board.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
rkuechler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The assumption comes from myself. There are a lot of things to do and i can't see a horizon. So i have do explain why i mean that we are under-administrated. And exactly in this case, third-party opinions can underline my personal view.

But never mind. I have to find out it by myself.

Regards, Roman.

0 Kudos