VMware Cloud Community
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rebooting host with VM still running

I should know the answer to this, but I don’t. If I reboot my host machine with the VM still running, does the host retain the VM undamaged or should I always shut down the VM first and only then the host? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry, but really? Shutting down or restarting a host without thinking twice, thus without caring about the virtual running machines sure that it could damage them, is like "brutally unplugging the power cord". 😂

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry, but really? Shutting down or restarting a host without thinking twice, thus without caring about the virtual running machines sure that it could damage them, is like "brutally unplugging the power cord". 😂

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Presumably this is an ESXi/vSphere host?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes you should always either shut down the VM or vmotion it over to another host. Never shut down the host first. Put it into Maintenance mode which will ask you to move the VM's to other hosts if you have a cluster.

0 Kudos