VMware Cloud Community
ImedecsIT
Contributor
Contributor

Reboot/switch/uuid issues

The other day, we were patching our window servers and one of them resides on an ESXi 4.0 box. When we went to restart the server via the vSphere Client it caused a cascade of unresponsiveness from all VM's on that box.

Initially I could still ping the box (both the ESXi server and the VM), but from another workstation as well as a different server the VM's and the ESXi server gradually became un-pingable. So I went down to the box to see if it had hung, but I was able to get on the box and access all the usual setup options. eventally we just rebooted the ESXi box using the appropriate F12 reboot options. Once it came back up we figured we would be able to ping the box, but still no luck. we tried restarting the Management Network as well as the Management agents.

Eventually we restarted our main 2 switches and were able to finally ping the box.

When we went back and logged in using vSphere, we noticed that on startup, all our vm's had the "msg uuid altered" messages and we were prompted to choose I copied it or I moved it before they would boot. Once we chose, they booted fine.

Has anyone run across anything like this? Please let us know.

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
0 Replies