VMware Cloud Community
arponjude
Contributor
Contributor

Reason why VMs just suddenly shutdown

Hi All,

Every morning I noticed my VMs just shutdown and I have to restart it every morning.

The thing is that few weeks before it was working ok running 24/7 but now a big problem.

Does anyone knows why my VMs suddenly shutdown?

I'm so new with this I don't even know how check the logs. Smiley Sad

Need help.

Thanks,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
helltejas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you give me more detail about it...

like what OS you are using on those VM?

how many vms are faceing the same problem?

check the events or any sheduled task by script???

and also attech vmware.log file

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

Hi, 

Check the OS logs/events & ESXi/Vcenter logs for shutdown event.

what Vm guest OS you are using?

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
arponjude
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using EXSi 5 on an IBM Server.

I have 3 VM's running:

1. Windows XP

2. CentOS 6.2

3. CentOS 6.2

Every morning all of the 3 VM's are shutdown but host Server is up.

I have no scheduled task.

Where can I see the vmware.log?

How do i get the log?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
helltejas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

go to

<datastore>-><vm folder>

attech all vmware.log files

arponjude
Contributor
Contributor

Hi helltejas,

Here are the log files.

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

IF you are having HA configured then,  This might be because of Isolation response

ie

Isolation Response is the action HA triggers, per VM, when it is network isolated from the rest of your cluster. Now note the “per VM”, so a host will trigger the configured isolation response per VM, which could be either “power off” or “shutdown”. However before it will trigger the isolation response, and this is new in 5.0, the host will first validate if a master owns the datastore on which the VMs configuration files are stored. If that is not the case then the host will not trigger the isolation response.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
arponjude
Contributor
Contributor

Hi UmeshAhuja,

Sorry... I'm not sure if I understand.

Anyway, thus this mean that host can just shutdown automatically all my VMs?

Because keep on manually turning all the 3 VMs every morning.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Lets assume for a second that the host has been network isolated but a master doesn’t own the datastore on which the VMs config files are stored, what happens? Nothing happens. Isolation response will not be triggered as the host knows that there is no master which can restart these VMs, in other words there is no point in powering down a VM when it cannot power it on. The host will of course periodically check if the datastore is claimed by a master.

There’s also a scenario where the complete datastore could be unavailable, in the case of a full network isolation and NFS / iSCSI backed storage for instance. In this scenario the host will power off the VM when it has detected another VM has acquired the lock on the VMDK. It will do this to prevent a so-called split brain scenario, as you don’t want to end up with two instances of your VM running in your environment. Keep in mind that in order to detect this lock the “isolation” on the storage layer needs to be resolved. It can only detect this when it has access to the datastore.

I guess there’s at least a couple of you thinking but what about the scenario where a master is network isolated? Well in that case the master will drop responsibility for those VMs and this will allow the newly elected master to claim them and take action if required.

I hope this clarifies things.

In case of any doughts kindly provide the vxpd logs if possible for more accurate results

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
helltejas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[4666 mainDispatch.c:4084]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=0, newAppState=1872, success=1 additionalError=0

2012-04-12T05:17:25.194Z| vcpu-0| Vix:

[4666 mainDispatch.c:4004]: VMAutomationReportPowerStateChange: Reporting power state change (opcode=0, err=0).

[4666 mainDispatch.c:4004]: VMAutomationReportPowerStateChange: Reporting power state change (opcode=2, err=0).

2012-04-12T05:17:25.194Z| vcpu-0| Transitioned

can you tell me when did you last powerd on those VMs?

is this the only ESXi server which has this issue?

0 Kudos
arponjude
Contributor
Contributor

In case of any doughts kindly provide the vxpd logs if possible for more accurate results

Sorry I'm so new to this.

How do i get the vxpd logs?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
arponjude
Contributor
Contributor

Tejas wrote:

[4666 mainDispatch.c:4084]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=0, newAppState=1872, success=1 additionalError=0

[4666 mainDispatch.c:4004]: VMAutomationReportPowerStateChange: Reporting power state change (opcode=0, err=0).

[4666 mainDispatch.c:4004]: VMAutomationReportPowerStateChange: Reporting power state change (opcode=2, err=0).

2012-04-12T05:17:25.194Z| vcpu-0| Transitioned

can you tell me when did you last powerd on those VMs?

is this the only ESXi server which has this issue?

I powered on every morning 10am+.

This is the only ESXi I have now.

What thus this mean?

Why does this occur only this week?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
helltejas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sooooo, let me make it clear, you have only one ESXi server and it is not managed by vCenter

am i currect?:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Could you confirm whether your ESX host is restarting? what is its uptime?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
arponjude
Contributor
Contributor

I Walker wrote:

Could you confirm whether your ESX host is restarting? what is its uptime?

How do I get this information?

I'm using vSphere Client to remotely access it.

0 Kudos
arponjude
Contributor
Contributor

Tejas wrote:

sooooo, let me make it clear, you have only one ESXi server and it is not managed by vCenter

am i currect?:smileyconfused:

Yes, I'm just using vSphere Client to remotely access my ESXi 5 host.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

This is one way you can find the uptime in the vi client:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1829878

If the uptime column isnt visible then right click on the column headers bar and select uptime to add it to the display.

thanks

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
helltejas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i had a quick look at log file..

and i think there were some memory issues available...maybe memory contention problem

check for performance tab and last week memory chart if possible attach screen snap.....

and if it will happens again tomorrow then before you power on VM just copy last vmware.log file

i need some more data to analyze your problem..

0 Kudos