VMware Cloud Community
ans2000
Contributor
Contributor

Really bad disk performance

Hi everyone. I'm new to VMWare, I'm having a really serious case of very poor disk performance and It's getting hard to me to troubleshoot it.

First of all I would like to post some information that may be useful to you.

I'm running VMware ESXi, 4.1.0, 260247. The Server is an HP ProLiant ML 150 G6 - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5504 @ 2.00GHz - 8GB RAM

I have only 1 VM, Windows SBS 2003 SP2 32bits. Inside the VM we run a custom software with SQL 2005 database. 

Everything worked properly. About 1 month ago I started noticing that our software started to work very slowly at certain hours of the day (One time during the morning and one more in the afternoon).

From vSphere client I could see that the storage system was performing poorly.

Here are some screen shots of the performance charts:

Vitrual disk chart.JPG

Vitrual disk chart 2.JPG

Vitrual disk chart 3.JPG

During During peak usage it's impossible to run our software, it gets really slow. The server never hangs, after a while (First it was 10-15 min, now up to1 hour) performance returns back to normal.

I checked for any process that may be causing de disk to perform slow (Antivirus software, backup software, etc.) and nothing is going on during that time.

I will be very grateful of any help you can give me.

If you need additional information please ask.

Kind regards

Andrés

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Andrés,

Welcome to the VMware VMTN Communities.

I moved your question from Community Website Help to VMware ESXi™ 4.

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

What are you using for storage?  Locally attached disk?  SAN?  NAS?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
ans2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm using local attached SCSI Disks 500GB

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you use a RAID controller with a battery/flash backed cache module? Ig so, check the battery to see whether this causes the issue. Without a fully charged battery the controller will operate in write-trough mode, which can really slow down disk performance.

André

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert

Welcome to the forums.

Did you say that it happens at certain times in the day?

Do you have another process running at the same time that requires a high amount of disk I/O?

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
ans2000
Contributor
Contributor

I will check this and get back to you.

Thanks,

Andrés

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As soon as you used the words "HP Server" and "Disk Performance", this thread was likely about a lack of RAID cache and battery backup Smiley Happy

0 Kudos