VMware Cloud Community
CaireJL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Reallocate ESX license post crash

Hello...

I'm facing a problem! I have installed 3 HP DL-380G7 (Dual socket) with ESXi 4.1. I installed a vCenter server, installed my license file (ordered for 8 servers) & declared my 3 ESX.

Then I had a problem & reinstalled my ESX servers from scratch... & forgot to leberate the licenses! :smileyconfused:

So after the reinstall of my 3 servers I only have 4 CPU left instead of 10! & I can't find where is the option to unregistered "invisible" ESX :smileyangry:

Could someone help me on this case?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hofkicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just remove the license and reinstall the same license again. You can temporary assign the 'evaluation' license to the fresh installed ESX hosts before removing the license file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i'm not sure I quite understand, however, all your license keys and information will be on your license portal.  Have you check there?

http://www.vmware.com/support/licensing/

0 Kudos
Hofkicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just remove the license and reinstall the same license again. You can temporary assign the 'evaluation' license to the fresh installed ESX hosts before removing the license file.

0 Kudos
CaireJL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy...

In fact yes all the keys are in the portal... but my VC says I have 6 ESX Dual CPU registered although I only have 3 because I forgot to unregister them prior reinstalling the whole ESXi

So I only have few CPU left on my licence & I won't be able to install the 8 servers as VC knows the 3 old ones!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

are these licenses still being held in vCenter?  Home--Administration--Licenses.  Can you "remove" the licenses.  Once removed, add in the new license key, then add the hosts back?

CaireJL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought it had worked & in fact NO!

No ESX registered & already 6 CPUs appearing as Assigned! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
CaireJL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys...

In fact my problem has been solved! a VMware guy gave me this KB  vCenter Server incorrectly displays the amount of licenses in use by ESX hosts

When I destroyed & reinstalled my 3 ESX servers as I didn't unassign the license from the servers they stayed in the ADAM server.

I followed this KB & everyting is back to normal now! :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos