VMware Cloud Community
bunny101
Contributor
Contributor

Real quick question about provisioned space on a template

Good afternoon, all!

I have an inherited ESXi 4.1 installation that I'm slowly peeling away the layers of ick.  The latest one is a machine template that has a used space of 9.17 GB, but a provisioned space of over 600GB.  Since it's a template, I don't see why it was provisioned with that huge amount of space.

Does anyone see a reason I shouldn't just lower the provisioned size of the virtual disk to just over the actual space?  Is there a formula for determining the size of a template as it's being created or used for a new server?

Thanks to all!

G

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

That does sound very high for a template. How many virtual disks are in the template?

I tend to create the OS volume at a minimum size ~20-40GB for Windows and then add specific disks to each deployed VM on an as-needed basis.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
bunny101
Contributor
Contributor

Just one - Hard disk 1.

This is a template for RHEL - I would probably do the same, or expand the template on cloning to a live machine.

G

0 Kudos