VMware Cloud Community
Bryon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Raw Drive Mapping question

We first created a VM on esx 4 and set a mapped raw lun as a disk to the maximum at the time of 2TB. We have since upgraded to ESXi 5 and now need to increase the drive size. Now I have been trying to determine if ESXi 5 supports this. I found:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r50/vsphere-50-configuration-maximums.pdf

On page 4 it lists for VMFS 5:

Raw Device Mapping size (virtual compatibility) 2TB minus 512 bytes

Raw Device Mapping size (physical compatibility) 64TB

So now my confusion, 1. I thought raw mappings bypassed VMFS and 2. is a vhard drive as a Mapped Raw lun a physical or virtual compatablity?

Any clarification or help here is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Whether the RAW disk is used as a physical (pass-through) or virtual RDM depends on what you select when you attach it to a VM. The only difference between the two modes is that with a RDM in virtual mode you are able to create snapshots. That's why it currently cannot be larger than the ~2TB limit. The snapshot files are .vmdk files.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Whether the RAW disk is used as a physical (pass-through) or virtual RDM depends on what you select when you attach it to a VM. The only difference between the two modes is that with a RDM in virtual mode you are able to create snapshots. That's why it currently cannot be larger than the ~2TB limit. The snapshot files are .vmdk files.

André

0 Kudos
Bryon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André,

Thanks. For some reason I did not locate the compatiblity mode listing in the settings. It jumped off the page this time and now clarifies my question. The mapping was created in physical Compatiblity mode so should support the increase in drive size up to 64TB. I think so anyway.

Thanks for the assist.

Bryon

0 Kudos