VMware Cloud Community
Artez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Raid necessary for ESXi 5.0?

Hello all,

I am quite new to this VMware and this is our company's first trial on implementing VM solution to our test environment.

So please be generous if my question is redundant or I am on a wrong board.

Our server is HP Proliant DL380 G5 and we bought VMware Essential Kit license.  (planning to install ESXi 5.0)

As most of you already know, HP servers have this SmartStart thing that allows user to RAID the drives before OS installation so that if one drive malfunctions, the mirror will do its job until fix.

But when I was reading the other articles, it says ESXi won't recognize software RAID?

Also, don't ESXi have some kind of built in resource distribution system that allows guest VMs to function even if one or two host drives malfunction?

Any corrections, suggestions and additional questions are welcome.

By the way, since this is the test environment, HP box is the only host (about 3.8 TB) and we are planning to run about 4~5 VMs.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

most DL380 G5 models come with a built in SmartArray P400 RAID controller which is a supported hardware RAID controller. The RAID functionality is totally transparent to ESXi in this case (e.g. rebuilding after a fialure). So nothing to worry about this controller

Regarding the disk/RAID size you mentioned, you may need to split the RAID into multiple logical volumes using the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) due to an issue with the currently used driver (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006942). I'd recommend you create a 10GB logical volume for ESXi and split the remaining disk space into two large logical volumes for use as VMFS datastores.

Btw. does the controller have BBWC (battery backed write cache)? This is very important and makes a HUGE difference in disk performance.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

But when I was reading the other articles, it says ESXi won't recognize software RAID?

SmartStart isn't software RAID, its a setup program.  If you have a supported RAID card, then you are set to go.  If you have a software (aka fakeraid) card, then it wont work for you.

Also, don't ESXi have some kind of built in resource distribution system that allows guest VMs to function even if one or two host drives malfunction?

No - that's the RAID controller's job.  We do have the ability to move a workload for a host that has totally failed (assuming you have a storage array or NAS system thats off-host), but it doesn't handle individual disk failures.

Any corrections, suggestions and additional questions are welcome.

By the way, since this is the test environment, HP box is the only host (about 3.8 TB) and we are planning to run about 4~5 VMs.

Thats fine - understand that you have a single point of failure.

Thank you

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
Artez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@mcowger

thanks for your quick answer.

Just checked and we do have raid card and controller.

So this means to prevent unexpected failures raid is unaviodable?

thank you

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I dont understand what you are asking.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

most DL380 G5 models come with a built in SmartArray P400 RAID controller which is a supported hardware RAID controller. The RAID functionality is totally transparent to ESXi in this case (e.g. rebuilding after a fialure). So nothing to worry about this controller

Regarding the disk/RAID size you mentioned, you may need to split the RAID into multiple logical volumes using the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) due to an issue with the currently used driver (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006942). I'd recommend you create a 10GB logical volume for ESXi and split the remaining disk space into two large logical volumes for use as VMFS datastores.

Btw. does the controller have BBWC (battery backed write cache)? This is very important and makes a HUGE difference in disk performance.

André

0 Kudos
Artez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for your answers!

I think I got what I need and will close this discussion.

And sorry for my vague questions.

0 Kudos
Artez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I almost forgot to answer your question,

yes it has the BBWC and we just need to enable it.....

On our hp box there are two 72GB and six 450GB.

Hence we are planning to RAID 1+0 on 72GBs and split the 72GB into two logical drives (32GB with ESXi 5.0 + 40GB empty)

For the six 450GB we will RAID 1+0 also but we are going to leave it as physical drive (1.35TB).

Any feedbacks?

Thank you

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless I'm mistaken a RAID 10 cannot be split into multiple logical volumes. However, this is nothing to really worry about, since the disk sizes are in the supported range/size.

yes it has the BBWC and we just need to enable it.....

No need to do this, it will automatically switch to write-back operation once the battery is fully loaded.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... and don't forget to update the host to the latest firmware version. I also recommend you set the Power-Mode in the BIOS to "Static High-Power" and set "Virtualization Technology (VT-x)" as well as "Execute Disable" to Enabled in the Processor options.

André

0 Kudos