Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Raid Hardware on ESXi 5.0

Hi  everybody

My component are on ASUS Sabertooth x58 with:

CPU Intel Core i7 960
RAM 24Gb DDR3 1600
DISK OS: single WD3000HLHX SATAIII (300Gb-10K) on Marvell PCIe 9128 (88SE9128) [it would be in RAID1]
DISK DATA: four ST31000528AS SATAII (1Tb-7200) on Intel ICH10R in BIOS R5

Marvell is not supported by the OS and Intel is a "fake raid".:smileycry:

I'm finding two card that work one in sata2 Raid5 and one in sata3 Raid0 or 1.

At this moment I've find in this community, vm-help and other sites for an answare but nothing to do.

I haven't understood what I can do Smiley Sad

Someone can help me please ?

Many thanks in advice

Alessandro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A common option to use is an used Dell Perc 5 / 6.  These are LSI based controllers which will also provide controller / disk health within ESXi.   You can also look at LSI based controllers that have worked with ESXi 4.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Discussion moved from Community Website Help to VMware ESXi 5

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A common option to use is an used Dell Perc 5 / 6.  These are LSI based controllers which will also provide controller / disk health within ESXi.   You can also look at LSI based controllers that have worked with ESXi 4.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1. Install ESXi 5 onto an USB flash drive that's 1-8GB in size. Go with a quality make/model, don't go cheap here.

2. Get a [true hardware] RAID controller with BBWC that's on the VMware HCL.

3. Setup the four 1TB drives in a RAID 10 array for better performance and redundancy.

IMO, anytime you start going down the whitebox route, you're going to run into issues. They might be easy to overcome, or a total PITA (like you're facing).

Personally, I made sure the system I purchased to run ESX/ESXi had 100% supported hardware before I even made the purchase. A Dell PERC 6/i controller and Intel NIC's were just part of the picture. Using a workstation class system (Precision Workstation T7400) that Dell engineers confirmed had what it took to run ESX/ESXi (back when 3.5 was still new) was another key part. Getting assistance from the manufacturer can go a long way. I doubt you'll get much luck from Asus on the board you're using.

nirene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best regards !!

Very helpful yours answers, thank you so much !!

Alessandro   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nirene
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dave

I've bought a Perc5/i but wasn't compatibility with my Asus MB (3/4 reboot, cat 8Gb ram on 24Gb).

Now I've returned this card, and LSI8704ELP would be better for my system.

What do you think about ?

Alessandro

0 Kudos