VMware Cloud Community
billy437
Contributor
Contributor

Raid 5 and Number of Drives

I am setting up new servers and I was reading the release notes on the 5.1 U1 and it gave examples of supported raid.

I was planning on installing 8 1TB drives and setting them up RAID 5.  The release notes says that they support the following examples.  It says 7 1TB drives in that note.

Is this just an example or if I use 8 drives will my server explode?  It just seems weird that I can use 7 but not 8 rather than a set rule of max number drives in a particular RAID type statement.

Anyone have any insight into this or do I have to burn a support call.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It has to do with the SCSI addressing - depending on the SCSI bus because some only have 8 addresses available - one is taken by the SCSI card leaving 7 available for drives - from Google -

On SCSI parallel buses the number of ids is related to the width. 8 bit buses (sometimes called "narrow") can have 8 SCSI ids of which 1 is taken by the HBA leaving 7 for SCSI devices. Wide SCSI buses are 16 bits wide and can have a maximum of 15 SCSI devices (targets) attached. The SCSI 3 draft standard allows a large number of ids to be present on a SCSI bus.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
billy437
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much.  You know that actually makes sense.  So no big deal I guess I will go with the 7 as opposed to 8.  Do you have any opinion on the RAID type.  I have seen so many different opinions about raid 5 vs raid 6 vs raid 10.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It really depends on what's going on the drives. Will there be a SAN?

0 Kudos
billy437
Contributor
Contributor

It is local storage.  Can't afford SAN.  We have 2 drives Raid 1 for ESXi.

Then 8 1TB drives for data on each server.  We plan to use the Storage appliance.  The VMs are standard Windows 8 R2 running Exchange 2010 and print and file sharing, and SharePoint.

I have seen that there is better performance on the raid 10 so I might go that way but the HP servers need additional license to get that option.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I would go RAID 5 - provides decent performance for most applications -

Also with you SCSI are able to enable the Wide SCSI bus this will allow you to use all 8 drives -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
billy437
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  I am just so afraid of setting this up and it not performing well.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Performance anxiety??

0 Kudos
billy437
Contributor
Contributor

Ha funny!

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Poorly performing RAID is nearly always the result of a cheap RAID card, the lack of a battery backed cache, or too small a cache.

These issues have exponentially more impact than the RAID level.

Edit:

I have seen that there is better performance on the raid 10 so I might go that way but the HP servers need additional license to get that option.

This is not a licensed feature and you can choose to do so. However, if you require performance at a high enough level that you need to go down this path, the Storage Appliance is unlikely to be usable to you.

0 Kudos