VMware Cloud Community
yvanrossier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Raid 0 to 1

Hello,

I have a little problem. When installing a new server (ML350 G8) the Raid was created in Raid 0 with 2 disks of 146gb. The esxi has been installed on this Raid 0 and I would like to know if I can and how to migrate it on a Raid 1 without losing the datastores.

The problem and I have no security if a drive crashes

ML350 G9 with P420i

Raid 0 with 2x 146gb (esxi 6.0 U3)

Raid 5 with 6x 600Gb (stored vm)

very thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

I hope the datastore is on RAID 5 volume and RAID0 has only the ESXi installation.

If so you can do this,

• From RAID controller firmware, delete RAID0 and build RAID1 with 2x146Gb. Note: this will delete the ESXi installation.
  • Reinstall ESXi on newly created RAID1 volume. You've to be careful while choosing the target disk for ESXi installation. The Installer will warn you that it deteceted vmfs volume and would you like to retain it. Choose yes here.
  • Once installation completed boot with ESXi and re-register all vms from old datastore. you can find the steps to re-register here How to register/add a VM to the Inventory in vCenter Server (1006160) | VMware KB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

I hope the datastore is on RAID 5 volume and RAID0 has only the ESXi installation.

If so you can do this,

• From RAID controller firmware, delete RAID0 and build RAID1 with 2x146Gb. Note: this will delete the ESXi installation.
  • Reinstall ESXi on newly created RAID1 volume. You've to be careful while choosing the target disk for ESXi installation. The Installer will warn you that it deteceted vmfs volume and would you like to retain it. Choose yes here.
  • Once installation completed boot with ESXi and re-register all vms from old datastore. you can find the steps to re-register here How to register/add a VM to the Inventory in vCenter Server (1006160) | VMware KB
0 Kudos
yvanrossier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Working fine, thanks. Just info, the installer dont ask "The Installer will warn you that it deteceted vmfs volume and would you like to retain it. Choose yes here"

Thanks.

Yvan

0 Kudos