VMware Cloud Community
xbradshr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RDP locking up on 2008 R2 VM

ESXI 4.1 host

I have a Windows 2008R2 VM which is locking up on RDP.

-Checks on the performance tab show no issues with processor(CPU ready, CPU), RAM, or disk latency.

-The VM is built from a template, and is not in use.

-The VMware tools are up to date.

-Other non RDP services e.g active directory, patching, console, file copy appear okay.

-access from the same subnet has the issue

-Tried on 2 hosts. Both hosts are not busy, around 40% CPU, 50% RAM free.

-The VM is randomly performing very slowly on RDP. I installed wireshark on the problem server, and observed that there are two connection requests from the client which are acknowledged, but there is a big 144 second delay before the connection confirmation. Any ideas what might cause this?

I have attached the wireshark capture from the problem server.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
david2009
Contributor
Contributor

There are several possible issues:

- the NIC of the ESX host, are they 100M, 1Gig or 10G?  If they are 100M, what about on the switch? Is it hard code to 100/full as well?  if the NIC is 1Gig, then the switch should be set to auto/auto?  is it connected to a cisco switch?  do a "show interface xxx" and see if you are seeing any CRC errors.

- it could be the driver issue on the NIC.  For the record, I hate broadcom NIC, it sucks.  Intel NIC 10000MT/PRO is the best, IMHO.  I used the Intel NIC on my checkpoint firewalls for the past seven years and never have any issues with them.  The same can not be said about Broadcom.  Broadcom just sucks.

Try to test throughput connectivity from another host with your Windows 2008R2 using iperf application.  It will telll you if you have throughput issue.

0 Kudos
raj196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi xbradshr,

david2009 Nicely explained all the possibilites .

I am sure that will help you.

If still more information please let us know

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
0 Kudos