VMware Cloud Community
Hondo829
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RDP and VMTools issues

We are running ESXi 5.0 update 2 and we have two issues:

1. On some of the VMs, the VMTools are installed but then they VMtools will say that they are not running.  It is seen through the vSphere client.  Any explanations as to why the status of the VMtools would change?

2. We are running RDP on Windows 7 boxes and they randomly disconnect?  I have found discussions on this through Google, an d it seems a few people have this issue.  But no one seems to have the answer.  Any ideas?

6 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

1. On some of the VMs, the VMTools are installed but then they VMtools will say that they are not running.  It is seen through the vSphere client.  Any explanations as to why the status of the VMtools would change?

I would suggest you to re-install VMware tools again after uninstalling it. if issue still persist restart mgmt service and check whether it shows up properly.

2. We are running RDP on Windows 7 boxes and they randomly disconnect?  I have found discussions on this through Google, an d it seems a few people have this issue.  But no one seems to have the answer.  Any ideas?

Can you try what is mentioned in this thread Remote Desktop Keeps Disconnecting - Microsoft Community if you haven't tried it yet.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
Hondo829
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So is the service you want me to restart on the VM or the host?

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

On Host you need to do.

Check this KB how to restart the management service VMware KB: Restarting the Management agents on an ESXi or ESX host

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
Hondo829
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I need to amend my original post.  Most of the time, the VMtools say "not running" (see image).

VMtools not running.jpg

I have found the only way to get them running again is to connect using vSphere client, open the console and click in the console screen.  After this the VMtools say "running" and I can connect to the VM using RDP.  (See image)

IP shows up after open console.jpg

Any ideas what causes this?  Would Horizon View be a solution to this?

Bob d.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Most of the time, the VMtools say "not running"

May be windows is putting the 'computer' to sleep. Can you disable the sleepState and check whether your seeing this issue.

Thanks

jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi There,

Could you please uninstall/install VMtools manually on a VM without reboot of OS and check the status on Vsphere client.

Thanks

0 Kudos