VMware Cloud Community
IT_Vision
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RDM SQL 2012 Cluster VMs on Seperate Host

Greetings,

I am looking to utilize RDMs for a SQL 2012 Cluster and in going though the process of adding shared storage to the second node I am a bit confused.

I am referencing VMware's Document, "Setup for Failover Clustering and Microsoft Cluster Service". I am following the steps under "Clustering Virtual Machines Across Physical Hosts.  So I went ahead and added my LUNs which are on shared storage as RDMs to the first node.  The next step is to add the hard disk to the second node, however this process requires me to select "Use an Existing Disk" and select the disks which represent the RDMs which are stored in the data store where host1 exist.  The document reads, "Select Physical as the compatibility mode and click Next.  The only option I get is, select the Mode:  Persistent, Nonpersistent, or None.  I do not have an option to specify the disk as being Physical or not.  I did when I created the RDMs for the first host.

Also adding the disks as RDMs should I stored them with the VM (which is on shared storage) or should I create a separate datastore and specify the datastore which is on the same shared storage.  Since each of the RDM's are separate LUNs on the Shared Storage I guess I am curious if its better to choose the option to store In a different datastore then with node 1.

Any clarification on this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I assume that you want to create SQL 2012 Cluster VMs across the Physical hosts.Please see the steps as below.

I think There is a typo mistake in the documents you will not get again the same option  " Physical as the compatibility mode".The disk is already created with Physical as the compatibility mode on VM-1.Now you have to go with the "select the Mode:  Persistent" on vm-2.Once you are done with VM-2 , Right click on VM-2 ,select the hard disk and observe  compatibility mode is selected  Physical only.

RDMs disks can be stored on the same shared datastore where vms are created or on the separated shared datastores.As your wish where you want to keep.Only one thing need to be remembered both datastores must be shared with the both Physical Hosts.

Thanks,

Atul

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I assume that you want to create SQL 2012 Cluster VMs across the Physical hosts.Please see the steps as below.

I think There is a typo mistake in the documents you will not get again the same option  " Physical as the compatibility mode".The disk is already created with Physical as the compatibility mode on VM-1.Now you have to go with the "select the Mode:  Persistent" on vm-2.Once you are done with VM-2 , Right click on VM-2 ,select the hard disk and observe  compatibility mode is selected  Physical only.

RDMs disks can be stored on the same shared datastore where vms are created or on the separated shared datastores.As your wish where you want to keep.Only one thing need to be remembered both datastores must be shared with the both Physical Hosts.

Thanks,

Atul

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
IT_Vision
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Atul_gen,

Thank you for the response.  That does clarify thing for me now.  Much appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos