VMware Cloud Community
vishy123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RAM allocated to the Service Console - ESX 4

Hi There,

I'm testing my existing script which executes well with ESX 3.5 U4 to work with ESX 4.0, the only bit doesn't change is the amount of RAM allocation to the service console to be 800MB.

Below the script that works with ESX 3.5 U4

cp /etc/vmware/esx.conf /etc/vmware/esx.conf.ORIG

perl -spi -e 's|/boot/memSize = \"272\"|/boot/memSize = \"800\"|' /etc/vmware/esx.conf

cp /etc/grub.conf /etc/grub.conf.ORIG

esxcfg-boot -g

esxcfg-boot -b

Has anyone got this working in ESX 4?

Cheers,

Vishy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
notorious_bdg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this instead.

vimsh -n -e "/hostsvc/memoryinfo 838860800"

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you will have to change grub.conf also . modify the param mem=272M to mem=800M.

0 Kudos
Vishy1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys,

When I run this from the Service Console it works fine, but when I add it to my script it not working. I will dofews other methods and post my comments bit later

Cheers,

Vishy

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for Correct or Helpful.
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

this is what I used for 3.5 and I believe it still works for 4.0:

1. Upsize console memory

mv -f /etc/vmware/esx.conf /etc/vmware/esx.conf.old

/bin/sed -e 's/boot\/memSize = \"272\"/boot\/memSize = \"800\"/g' /etc/vmware/esx.conf.old >> /etc/vmware/esx.conf

mv -f /boot/grub/grub.conf /tmp/grub.conf.bak

/bin/sed -e 's/uppermem 277504/uppermem 818176/g' -e 's/mem=272M/mem=800M/g' /tmp/grub.conf.bak >> /boot/grub/grub.conf

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Vishy1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI Guys,

Finally go it working using Duncan's method, please note some changes to existing script

mv -f /etc/vmware/esx.conf /etc/vmware/esx.conf.old

/bin/sed -e 's/boot\/memSize = \"300\"/boot\/memSize = \"800\"/g' /etc/vmware/esx.conf.old >> /etc/vmware/esx.conf

mv -f /boot/grub/grub.conf /boot/grub/grub.conf.bak

/bin/sed -e 's/uppermem 307200/uppermem 818176/g' -e 's/mem=300M/mem=800M/g' /boot/grub/grub.conf.bak >> /boot/grub/grub.conf

The default ESX 4.0 SC RAM now stands at 300MB as suppose to 272M, same applies to uppermen is now 307200 as suppose to 277504

Also the backup location for grub.conf changed to same located as orig file. The /tmp directly doesn't work using script method, I was able to write post logs to /tmp when used with ESX 3.x but not in ESX 4.0, however was able to write post logs to /var/log

Thanks, Dunacn appreciate your help

Vishy

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for Correct or Helpful.
0 Kudos
christoph_wegen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's another easy method to achieve it (change COS RAM to 800MB). It works in ESX4.

/usr/bin/vmware-vim-cmd /hostsvc/memoryinfo 838860800
/usr/sbin/esxcfg-boot -b
/usr/sbin/esxcfg-boot -t

Christoph Wegener

0 Kudos