VMware Cloud Community
mattg1
Contributor
Contributor

RAID Advice

Hi All,

I have just installed ESXi 5.5 on my HP MicroServer with 4 drives of various sizes. I've added them to the storage, but I thought I would have been able to set them up to work as a RAID5 set up? I cannot see any option to do this, perhaps the MicroServer needs additional hardware to enable this but I would have at least expected a RAID0 or RAID1 option so I might be missing something here.

Thanks for any advice. I want to ensure my VMs are going to be safe from hardware failure before I start to install.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The RAID level is set outside of ESXi - you will have to set the RAID level in the drive controller CMOS - What is the RAID card you have in the MicroServer abnd is it on VMware's HCL - VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

If Server has separate raid controller, then you can create Raid 5 ,Raid 1+0....

By default while purchasing server if we don't order it, it come with SAS controller, which only support RAID 1 or RAID 0...

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos