VMware Cloud Community
ngerasimatos
Contributor
Contributor

RAID 5 Logical Volume 0 on controller 0, Drives(?,0e32,1e32,2e32) - DEGRADED

I just setup a new ESXi host and the drive arrays are reporting as in a failed status. I checked the array and drives on the physical machine on the controller and everything looks fine. How can I resolve this error?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ngerasimatos
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
ngerasimatos
Contributor
Contributor

Image is viewable here.

http://yfrog.com/0cerrorslj

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would almost suspect a firmware upgrade is needed (Bios or Array controller), or ESX is not reading the data from the device correctly and they need to patch

What server/controller model is it. Probably want to check controller, driver and firmware against the HCL...

0 Kudos
ngerasimatos
Contributor
Contributor

Poweredge 2950. I ahve all of the lateest drivers and firmware applied.

=

Product Model:

PowerEdge 2950

|

|

Service Tag:

HSW17J1

|

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

A possibility here is that the array hasn't finished building. Again check the documentation.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
JensJacobsen
Contributor
Contributor

Or that you installed ESXi before the array had initialized (maybe).

Try the following:

1. Reconfigure the array (delete current config, and create a new from scratch).

2. Let the raid controller finish the initialization (takes 2 to 6 hours).

3. Install ESXI (best if you do not install directly to the array, USB stick or separate disk is better if possible).

4. See if it works (no degraded array).

5. Apply patches to ESXi (there is a mega bug in the default ESXi 4.0 install that corrupts clients virtual disks on arrays with write through, if you installed directly to the array you may have been a victim of this bug).

Regards

Jens

0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

from the screen shoot we can see that the BIOS version is 2.5 where the current BIOS no is 2.6.1..so upgrade ur BIOS

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i'm not seeing this issue on 2950 your drives are missing re connect it and initilise it again it will work

0 Kudos