VMware Cloud Community
uni-hacker
Contributor
Contributor

RAID 10 Upgrade - Parity Check In Progress Warning

Hi,

I upgraded a Dell PowerEdge R510 (PERC 6/i RAID Controller) internal Datastore to RAID 10 (8x2TB SAS) this past Sunday and VMware's Health Status is still showing "Parity Check In Progress - Assert" Warning. Additionally, it appears all the drives LED status (synchronized blinking) indicate the same results. Any clues if there's a problem or how long this should take? It been in this state for 3 days now.

PowerEdge R510

PERC 6/i RAID Controller

8x 2TB SAS Drives

VMware ESXi 5.5.0 1331820 (Dell Image)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ClintColding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the status of the raid in OpenManage? Have you tried resetting the sensor?

0 Kudos
uni-hacker
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did try to reset/fresh the sensors and OpenManage is currently not on the host.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ClintColding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, it would be interesting to know if OpenManage says the RAID is fine. What size is the RAID? A large RAID will take some time to finish building but 3 days does seem a bit much.

These seem to be related and claim the same thing, that the RAID is still building:

Re: Dell R900, ESXi 5, RAID10 - Parity check in progress?

storage - "Parity check in progress" warning in ESXi 5 - Stack Overflow

0 Kudos
uni-hacker
Contributor
Contributor

The size of the RAID 10 array is 8TB (usable). I'll get OpenManage on it tonight and see what it reports.

0 Kudos
VMMalley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a R720 with a 710P.

This is my second R720 with same raid controller, but I just fired this up yesterday and it is going back and forth to "Parity Check in Progress" Warning for all of the 16 drives I have installed.

It clears up, and then the parity check comes back..............

Have you resolved the parity check in progress error yet? if so, what was the resolution.

I don't know what my solution is yet since I don't know why this is occurring.

Thanks!

0 Kudos