VMware Cloud Community
TexK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RAID 0 HDD's do not show up as available datastores on ESXI 5.5

Hello there, I have installed ESXI 5.5 on an old Dell Poweredge T310 bare metal. Using VMSphere to remote, when I create a virtual disk, I only have the SSD on which ESXI is installed on as an option for a datastore. If I go to devices, VMSphere does see my two HDD's set up in RAID 0 (1 4TB drive as opposed to 2TB ones) but does not allow me to install any virtual machine on them.

The Dell Poweredge T310 has a physical PERC 6/i with 256MB battery-backed cache RAID controller. I also set up the RAID volumes AFTER installing ESXI.

I have attached a picture.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TexK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It says my SSD is a datastore though, isn't that correct?

If not, would there be somewhere I can read the procedure for getting started with 5.5?

Thank you.

Never mind, I figured it out. Seems I had to add the datastore myself. Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@TexK 
A screenshot of your datastores and how they map to your storage would be helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TexK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would this be useful?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like you didn't create a VMFS datastore on the device yet.

André

0 Kudos
TexK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It says my SSD is a datastore though, isn't that correct?

If not, would there be somewhere I can read the procedure for getting started with 5.5?

Thank you.

Never mind, I figured it out. Seems I had to add the datastore myself. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos