VMware Cloud Community
bordiss
Contributor
Contributor

Quick command line question... I made a boo boo.. :)

We had failure of or primary (read 'only') DNS server. Once we got things back on track with a new DNS server, I can no longer get into the ESX boxes via vsphere. Im assuming its because they had DNS setup to look for a box that no longer exists. Whats the quick CLI to add my two new DNS servers to the interfaces?

IPs are 192.168.3.45 and 192.168.4.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Cain

Manager of Information Technology

Aquarium of the Pacific

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - your sould still be able to access your ESX servers vie the vSphere client using the IP address - you then can follow this to set the DNS server addresses - - even though this is for the vi-client it still is avalid for the vsphere client -

But from the command line you would need to /etc/resolv.conf and modify the IP address there -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
bordiss
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, the problem is, since the DNS went all haywire I havent been able to get into the farm via vsphere client. So, I have to do the CLI. So head to etc/ and edit resolv.conf. Going now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DNS is just for accessing a system using it's hostname. are you able to access from vSphere Client using ESX IP?

Edit /etc/resolv.conf and mention the new DNS Server IP for each ESX host.

0 Kudos