VMware Cloud Community
GAPCABIV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quick USB Passthrough Question (Moving USB device from 1 host to another)

We are in the process of upgrading host hardware in our vSphere 5.1 environment.  (Maybe we will be able to upgrade vSphere soon after).

We have one older host with a USB Licensing Dongle that is needed by 1 VM in particular.  Today that host machine will be shutdown and I need to move the USB dongle to one of the new hosts.  This was all setup about 4 years ago but I seem to recall it was a simple process.

Is a host reboot required (New hosts are also 5.1 for now) once I move the USB dongle or is it plug and play?

My plan is:

Shutdown the VM that needs the USB device passed through to it

Remove the USB1 device from the VM Settings (Since it references the old host where the device is currently plugged in)

Shutdown the old host (is this necessary?)

Shutdown the new host (is this necessary?)

Remove the USB Dongle from the old host

Plug the USB dongle into the new host

Power on the new host (If powering down was necessary)

vMotion the powered off VM that needs access to the USB Dongle to the new host

Add the USB1 device to the VM

Set a rule that the VM always power on on the new host with the USB Dongle attached

Power on the VM

Does this sound like a legit plan or are there flaws that you can see?  Also is the shutdown of the new host to plug in and recognize the USB Dongle necessary or will it be recognized if plugged in with the host running?

Thanks for your input and advice.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GAPCABIV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is done.  Turns out I didn't have to shutdown the host.  We just shutdown the VM that needs the device visible.  vMotion'd to the new host. Deleted the USB1 device from the VM settings.  Moved the USB dongle from the old to the new host.  Added the USB1 device to the VM settings from the new host and powered up the VM.

(Just in case anyone else needs to do the same one day)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GAPCABIV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is done.  Turns out I didn't have to shutdown the host.  We just shutdown the VM that needs the device visible.  vMotion'd to the new host. Deleted the USB1 device from the VM settings.  Moved the USB dongle from the old to the new host.  Added the USB1 device to the VM settings from the new host and powered up the VM.

(Just in case anyone else needs to do the same one day)