VMware Cloud Community
JohnFLi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quick License question

quick question  ( i just want to make sure)

I just created a new vSphere system and have moved the esxi hosts to the new vsphere  (not all, just the ones needed)

The hosts brought over their licnese (which is good).

Now for my question......  in the original vsphere (production) I have a licnses for 8 CPUs....only 6 are being used.

Is it OK, if i use that same license for one of my exists hosts in my new vsphere to use that remaining 2 CPU?

The reason I want to do that is becasue the spare license is an Enterprise, while the one that I want to put it on currently is a Standard.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
If you have 2 free licenses from your old servers, technically you can use them for a new server.

The 6 licenses only work for versions 6.0, 6.5 and 6.7.
The 7 licenses only work for version 7.0.

If your servers are older, it is very likely that they have version 6.X (ESXi).
You may be able to upgrade from 6 to 7 licenses (if your subscription contract allows it).

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
If you have 2 free licenses from your old servers, technically you can use them for a new server.

The 6 licenses only work for versions 6.0, 6.5 and 6.7.
The 7 licenses only work for version 7.0.

If your servers are older, it is very likely that they have version 6.X (ESXi).
You may be able to upgrade from 6 to 7 licenses (if your subscription contract allows it).

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
JohnFLi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Outstanding, thank you.

They are currently the same version.

The reason I made a new vCenter was to put the 'test' hosts in the new vCenter as they are not able to be upgraded past esxi 6.0.

once i have all the older hosts into the new vCenter (6.5) I will be able to upgrade my production vCenter and hosts to the current stable version.

THank you for your answer.

0 Kudos