VMware Cloud Community
vulcanus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Questions about patching a single host

I am doing our first patch of one of our 5.5 hosts since it was originally installed (long over due).  I've searched, and was not satisfied with the answers, but just to double-check: will there be any compatibility issues by having all of our hosts on VMware ESX Host Agent 5.5.0 build-1331820, and this one updated with ESXi550-201410001?  (VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch Release ESXi550-201410001).  I ask this for reasons such as HA, vMotion, etc.  (I realize that VMs can run fine across hosts as long as the hardware compatibility is supported, but my question is specific to automation pieces, or any other gotchas).

Also, can the patch be installed and then rebooted later, or is a reboot required at the time of install?

Thank you.

Edit: also, which do most prefer, using the Update Manager or command line?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No issues with HA or vMotion since the hardware versions are the same. I usually leave a host or two in production for a day or two for patch testing before upgrading the rest of the hosts. You will need to reboot following the patch.

VUM(update manager) every time. It automates the whole process and if you have it, use it.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as such.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No issues with HA or vMotion since the hardware versions are the same. I usually leave a host or two in production for a day or two for patch testing before upgrading the rest of the hosts. You will need to reboot following the patch.

VUM(update manager) every time. It automates the whole process and if you have it, use it.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as such.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
vulcanus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I will mark it answered.  Can you also answer this?

I have installed the VMware Update Manager today, and created a baseline, selecting all "Critical Host Patched (Predefined)" (299), "Non-Critical Host Patches (Predefined)" (401), and "Host Patch" (700).  When I look through the patches to find 201410001, I do not see it.  Is it cumulative and contained in, say, 201410101-SG? Also, what does the "UG", "SG", and "BG" stand for at the end of the Patch IDs?

Edit: google-fu ftw: http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/04/understanding-esxi-patches-size-patch-bundles.html

BG=bug fixes

SG=security fixes

UG=? Upgrade? <-- could not find at that page, but I see ones ending in -UG in my UM.

0 Kudos