VMware Cloud Community
Jon8177
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Questions about VMware vSphere client and vCenter server

Hello,

I have the following questions.

1. What are the main differences between VMware vSphere client and vCenter server? As I read and understand, vSphere client is to create and manager single VM, but vCenter server is to create multiple VMs and manage them centrally connecting with ESXi. Does my understanding correct or wrong? Any more important differences are there more than this?

2. I want to create 3 VMs after installing ESXi in Mac hardware. In this case, which one is the suitable to use, VMware vSphere client or vCenter server?

3. I read about ESXi and VMware vSphere client are totally free to use. What is the cost for "vCenter server" ?

I need answer for all the above...Appreciate your answers!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1.) The limitations of the free Hypervisor are the ones I mentioned above. Max. 8 vCPU's per VM, and a restricted API. You can run as many VM's as your hardware (e.g. CPU, RAM, ...) can handle.

2.) The ESXi ISO image, and the vSphere Client are two separate downloads. As a side note: ESXi 6.0 comes with an embedded vSphere Host Client, which can be accessed from a Web browser, i.e. you may not even need to install the vSphere Client (i.e. the Windows application) separately.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1.) vCenter Server is basically a management application/service, which allows to centrally manage multiple hosts in an environment. The vSphere Client is used to connect to vCenter Server (or an ESXi host), and is simply a management interface.

2.) You can use the vSphere Client to connect to, and manage the ESXi host.

3.) vCenter Server has to be licensed, and - in order to manage ESXi hosts - the hosts need to be licensed too, i.e. you cannot manage ESXi hosts with the free Hypervisor license in vCenter Server. The lease expensive edition is an Essentials Kit, which contains a license for vCenter Server and up to 3 hosts. Anyway, if you only want a host with 3 VMs, and don't case about the limitations (up to 8 vCPUs per VM, restricted API access for e.g. backup applications) you can go with the free Hypervisor license.

André

Jon8177
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answers.

Can I install ESXi on Apple Mac mini hardware, what is the Apple hardware configuration it supports? I want to install ESXi on Apple hardware and access vSphere client from a windows PC.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid that an Apple Mac Mini is not officially supported (see VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search). However, you may want to take a look at APPLE MAC MINI/PRO to see what's required to make it work.

André

Jon8177
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks a lot. I will go with VMware compatible.

Last questions I have are,

1.) Is there any limit to create VMs when using free "ESXi + vSphere client" and "Licensed ESxi with vCenter server"?

2.) My plan is to install ESXi on Apple hardware and vSphere client on Windows PC(as it supports only for windows).

When I download ESXi ISO file, it comes along-with vSphere client as well? How can I separate vSphere client and install on Windows PC? Any idea?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1.) The limitations of the free Hypervisor are the ones I mentioned above. Max. 8 vCPU's per VM, and a restricted API. You can run as many VM's as your hardware (e.g. CPU, RAM, ...) can handle.

2.) The ESXi ISO image, and the vSphere Client are two separate downloads. As a side note: ESXi 6.0 comes with an embedded vSphere Host Client, which can be accessed from a Web browser, i.e. you may not even need to install the vSphere Client (i.e. the Windows application) separately.

André

0 Kudos
Jon8177
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh that's great. I can use just one Apple hardware machine to install ESXi and also embedded vSphere Host Client to manage VMs. I don't need a windows hardware PC/laptop to install vSphere client.

0 Kudos