VMware Cloud Community
NateC16
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question with setting up servers

Hey guys hopefully one of you could help me out here.

Now I set up a server for another office using the esxi 5.1 host, got the 3 vm's loaded on the server itself and was updating it.

Another person came over and told me i had to redo ALL OF IT because the IP gets saved in some database and screws everything up.

Right now i had it set up on DHCP and my plan was to get everything set up, using DHCP then set them static when we send them away.  They will be on another subnet.

Now do I have anything to worry about or is he right that we have to rebuild them?

if you need any more info just get back to me and i'll give more info

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With a stand-alone host (i.e. not connected to vCenter Server) that's basically all you need to do. I usually create a DNS Host-A record for the ESXi host to be able to resolve it by name, which usually makes things easier.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I cannot think of any database (except an individual one) where the IP address gets stored. It may remain on the DHCP server until the lease expires, but tha's probably not what was meant!?

André

0 Kudos
NateC16
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks!

and yeah thats what i had thought, because we are moving it from our local office to one in another state. There really shouldnt be a problem should there? I mean when we move it, we should be able to just push F2 and change everything in there when it arrives right?

or am i completely missing something?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With a stand-alone host (i.e. not connected to vCenter Server) that's basically all you need to do. I usually create a DNS Host-A record for the ESXi host to be able to resolve it by name, which usually makes things easier.

André

0 Kudos
NateC16
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect! thanks for that i was getting a little worried

and if i was to do something in the vcenter i'd just have to remove it out of there or something, then readd it or something right?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that should do. In case the host is being managed by vCenter Server the proper DNS resolution is even more important.

André

0 Kudos
NateC16
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect, thanks so much for the replies, makes a little more sense now!

0 Kudos